Aug 31, 2009

Exhausted but Moved In

So much has happened this past weekend and I don't know how much I'll be able to detail before I need to get moving on to other activities (like setting up the classroom for today's activities).

My update today is coming from the school, since we don't have internet at the house yet.

We were supposed to close on the house on Friday, but the loan documents were late in getting to the Title Company. So we didn't sign until 5pm and by then it was too late to send the documents to the county in order for the process to be finalized. So we couldn't technically get the keys until Monday... =(

However, our Realtor drafted a "Pre-Occupancy" agreement, whereby Todd and I could occupy the residence until the papers were finalized. We were hoping that the sellers would sign it Friday night. Unfortunately, they didn't sign it until Saturday night. So we spend 3 hours moving stuff from the storage shed into the house on Saturday night. We couldn't move longer because the storage unit closed at 9pm. On our last trip, we arrived with a carload and a truckload of stuff and opened the garage door...
...

...

And little things scurried across the floor of our garage. Not just any little things. Cockroaches.

I stood there, paralyzed by my phobia of bugs. I must have been pale because Todd asked if I was okay. Being the caring person he is, he took the box from my hands, set it down, and said we could go to Walgreens to buy pesticides.

We bought an arsenal. We had the Instant Death Raid cans. The foggers. The bait traps. And the powder to go in crack. Mind you, this is for the total of 3 cockroaches we saw.

The rest of the night, I walked around, Raid can in hand, ready to defend my life. If I saw a bug, I would squeak and shoot the spray all over trying to hit it. This stuff was potent though. A little bit went a LONG way towards making those little buggers twitch and die. Before we left for the night, we set off the fogger in the garage. Those bugs will NOT be around for long.

We didn't get back to Apache Junction until late. We were in bed at about midnight or so. And we wanted an early start on Sunday.

The early start was early, but not as early as we would have liked. We got to the storage unit about 8:30am instead of the 6am we were hoping for. We moved stuff all day long in the hot sun. But, it's done. The storage shed is empty, we have a washer and dryer and a refrigerator (pictures will be coming of our new appliances!), and most of our stuff out in Apache Junction is cleaned up.

We are going to head back out there tonight after work and clean the rest up. We were just too exhausted yesterday to do much else than hit up fast food Mexican, lay our bed down, and sleep.

Oh, and jump in our pool. Because it's ours. And it's awesome. Even Todd admitted that he liked the pool. It's pretty big and we think it gets maybe 10ft. deep at the deep end.

So, we're in the house now, but we don't have internet. Hopefully that will get hooked up soon.

More updates will include pictures, plus a little entry on Tom, Sonya, Katie, James and their kids (Bobbie and Megan - our flower girl and ring bearer). They all came down to Phoenix towards the end of the week and we had a great time hanging out with them!

And now, I need to set the classroom up for my class!

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to a warm climate. The first cockroach I saw was in Virginia when Dale and I were first married and he was in the Army. The darn thing ran across the kitchen floor and under the refrigerator. Just remember "Better living through chemistry!" Keep the chemicals handy.

    ReplyDelete

If you want to use OpenID, please attempt to make it display your name.

Resurrecting the Blog -- and Going International!

It started as an idle question. "Why can't we do that?" I had asked, somewhat jokingly. "We can," Todd had repli...