And I had best do so before the week starts again.
After my first week of work, my Aunt Wanda and Uncle Pat took me out to dinner. We went to a nice little restaurant in the marina by a lake. A balcony overlooked the lake and docks lined the shore. It was a beautiful sight and the food was good.
After dinner, Uncle Pat and I stood against the railing on the balcony, enjoying the view of the dark lake. As we stood there, I heard a rustle in the bushes near the edge of the balcony. I paid the sound no mind, thinking that it was only the wind. But the rustle came again and I looked down, terrified that I would see a snake slithering through the bushes.
Thankfully no snake was in sight. Instead I saw a bundle of black fur with a white stripe going down the middle...
"Uncle Pat! It's a skunk!" I said, stepping back quickly and pointing over the ledge.
I had never seen a skunk before (at least not a living one) and I stood there and watched it as it waddled along the edge of the balcony and out of sight.
The next evening, as I opened my front door to head over to my Uncle Pat and Aunt Wanda's home for dinner...I found another one.
The biggest skunk ever. Under my car.
Here, take a look at this thing.
I stood there a moment, my hand over my heart and my eyes wide. And then...I remembered where I was...and who my uncle was...And I took a closer look.
...A stuffed animal. Laughing to myself I walked over to their house. As I walked through the front door, I could hear both Aunt Wanda and Uncle Pat laughing.
Aunt Wanda said that Uncle Pat even referred to me as "Skunk Girl," and that he had been waiting all day for me to walk out my front door.
I love them both, dearly... Although I bet none of my neighbors at my new house will leave me little gifts underneath my car.
At least I hope not.
I gotta meet that Aunt and Uncle of yours. They sound like my kind of people.
ReplyDeleteYeah mom, they do sound like the Landerholm crowd!
ReplyDelete