Jun 14, 2009

The End of Induction...

Well, Induction has come to the end. Someone described this part of the experience as the welcoming, inspiring and comfortable part. What comes next is Institute...which has been described as boot camp, for teachers.

In any case, Induction was wonderful. I was surrounded by people who were passionate about changing lives and giving children the opportunity to succeed in life. We come from all over the country (and even from other countries!) and are excited to dedicate at least two years of our lives towards closing the achievement gap. I've had so many great conversations and I really am starting to feel a part of the community. We had city leaders welcome us, thank us, and urge us forward.

We also spent some great time out in the city. We were invited to a Diamondbacks game and got to watch it from the comfort of a party suite! It was amazing. It turns out that a past president of the Diamondbacks is now chairman of the board for TFA. Lucky us!

We also had a couple dinners with alumni and went out to this amazing place called The Big Bang. It's a dueling piano bar and I've never seen anything like it. It was so much fun! The pianists played (and sang) any song you requested - from Garth Brooks to Snoop Dog.

And now I'm cleaning up my hotel room and getting ready for my Uncle Pat and Aunt Wanda to pick me up. We're going to go out to breakfast then swing by the storage shed and pick up my Institute stuff (more clothes, shower stuff, etc.). They've been so great to have around and I'm so excited to be living near them. They have certainly made the transition to living down here a lot easier.

Again, sorry for the lack of pictures. I really wish I had my camera but alas, it's packed away.

I'll write more about Institute when (and if) I have the chance. I'm a little nervous for it, but excited in a way as well. I'll definitely be learning a lot!

1 comment:

  1. Doug and Kimberly have been to dueling piano bars in Phoenix... I wonder if this is one.

    Good luck with the next step in your TFA adventure!

    ReplyDelete

If you want to use OpenID, please attempt to make it display your name.

Resurrecting the Blog -- and Going International!

It started as an idle question. "Why can't we do that?" I had asked, somewhat jokingly. "We can," Todd had repli...