May 23, 2010

End of the Year, Luau Party!

The end of the year is here! My commitment with Teach For America is halfway over. It's a day that I wasn't sure would ever come - like a far off dream that seemed too good to be true. Friday was the last day of Head Start for the 20 little kids in my class. We had a lovely celebration, gave them their certificates, and wished them well in kindergarten. Only one of those students will be returning next year (since she was a 3 year-old this year). It was a year that was both long and short - each week seemed long but as I look back now, I can't believe it's all over. After all of the parents and students had left on Friday, I sat there, almost in shock. I can't believe that on Monday the bus isn't going to come by and drop off my kiddos.

It was a year of learning and growth for me - personal growth and professional growth. I'm going to miss the students I worked with, but at the same time I'm looking forward to next year and expanding on my teaching skills.

In order to celebrate the end of the year, Todd and I hosted a Luau party Saturday night. We had fruit, kabobs, vegetables, hot dogs, drinks, and wonderful company.

Here is our little sign pointing the way to our party:


And here is the master chef of the party! He did an excellent job grilling the food. I should keep him around =)


As you can see, we decorated the house with flowers, tropical fruit, and leis. Here I am, showing off some of our early food selection.


It was our first house party and we consider it a success! We're so excited to continue to make our house available for little gatherings. It was a fun night with good food, good drinks, and great conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you want to use OpenID, please attempt to make it display your name.

Resurrecting the Blog -- and Going International!

It started as an idle question. "Why can't we do that?" I had asked, somewhat jokingly. "We can," Todd had repli...