Sep 14, 2009

SIGG Bottles

I have several water bottles (Ashlee would say too many), and a couple are made by SIGG, a Swiss company. I suspect several of you may have a SIGG or two as well. When I saw a blog post about them on PhD Comics (link), I thought I should share.

Some background: Years ago (when I was in middle school or junior high) Nalgene became the cool bottle to tote around with you, and more recently it's been SIGG. In part, this may have been because there was a scare over plastic bottles leaching out BPA (link), which is thought to be dangerous for humans to consume, so metal bottles were thought to be safer.

The problem: Ironically, the SIGG bottles aren't bare aluminum: they are coated on the inside with some propriety polymer film, and it contains BPA. They recently started using a different coating that they assert is BPA free. Now they've started an exchange (link) (not recall) program. Interesting.

Will I send in the two SIGG bottles that I have to get them exchanged for brand new ones with the better coating? Maybe, maybe not. There are so many unknowns, and by that I mean that we aren't sure about what BPA does to a person, we have no way of knowing how much of it really came out of the old SIGG coating, we don't know how much is absorbed from the water into the body, and we don't know how much we get from other plastics products. What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. I just use my hospital water mug... it's probably solid BPA so they can drum up business.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They recently started using a different coating that they assert is BPA free...There are so many unknowns

    Add to the list of unknowns: what are the unknown (or undisclosed) ill effects of the new lining?

    ReplyDelete

If you want to use OpenID, please attempt to make it display your name.

Resurrecting the Blog -- and Going International!

It started as an idle question. "Why can't we do that?" I had asked, somewhat jokingly. "We can," Todd had repli...