Sep 4, 2008

Google Chrome

I couldn't resist: I had to write a post about the new web browser by Google: Chrome.

By the way, it's Todd typing (in case you didn't guess).  I don't really have a lot to say about it yet, as I just started using it about 2 hours ago.  There have been rumors for years that Google was making a browser, but until Chrome was released 2 days ago, they were just rumors.  It is an exciting release, in my opinion.

Many of us use the internet everyday, making browser choice important.  There are more options than you think, but the most popular are (in decreasing order) Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari (Apple), and Opera.  All of them have goods and bads, of course, but they are constantly evolving.  The good news is that they learn from each other.  Internet Explorer finally implemented tabbed browsing after many others had been tabbed for years.  Integrated web searching is another feature to get added as a result of the so-called "browser wars."

The truly exciting part for me is that Google takes things that have been done already (like email), and makes them much better.  I don't mean to say that Chrome will become the best browser, but it will, at the very least, give the other browsers some new ideas for improvement.

5 comments:

  1. i started using it last night, i really like that it is a multi threaded browser so that if one tab crashes it won't crash the whole browser.

    but of course it is still in beta and fairly basic so there are things like the "google toolbar" that i use quiet a bit for my boomarks more than anything else, but i miss it none the less.

    i think its cool to see that someone else also started trying it out right away.

    Cheers,
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Internet Explorer 8 beta 2 has the same feature of tabs running in different threads. I tried using Google Chrome in a virtual machine, but I didn't see anything amazing enough for me to switch to using it, so I've gone back to Internet Explorer 8 beta 2.

    Google Chrome does seem to execute javascript faster than Internet Explorer or Firefox though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss the ad block plus addon for firefox, but I can use privoxy instead. As for bookmarks, I've been using myhq.com for a while to address the issue of using computers at school, at our apartment, at home, at internships, etc.

    One thread per tab not only helps with crashes, but also with memory leaks. The memory issue is probably the biggest complaint about firefox.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Todd,

    Since you were the one who turned me on to Opera, I was surprised to see that you use Chrome and Firefox. I really, really like Opera. Mouse gestures, speed dial, content blocking, pop-up blocking, simple customization, bit torrent downloads, many viewing modes, spell checker, custom searches, feed readers. I could go on and on. Or maybe I like just like Opera because it's fast and Scandinavian...

    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't get me wrong, I still use Opera. I mentioned ad block plus on Firefox because it's really the only addon that I really like.

    Opera still fails to render some pages correctly, but that's becoming more rare.

    Many of the features you mention are also native in Firefox, but there are definitely some that aren't. Those implemented via addons are often flakey.

    Chrome is fastest (for now at least).

    ReplyDelete

If you want to use OpenID, please attempt to make it display your name.

Resurrecting the Blog -- and Going International!

It started as an idle question. "Why can't we do that?" I had asked, somewhat jokingly. "We can," Todd had repli...