Sep 15, 2008

First Batch

This fall I (Todd) am taking Portrait Photography at Carnegie Mellon. This will complete my minor (in Photography and Digital Imaging), and finish up my overall unit requirement to get my B.S. Otherwise I'm taking all graduate courses for my masters. Both are in Materials Science and Engineering.

Mark Perrot is the teacher, and apparently he is quite well-known is Pittsburgh. We've spent these first few weeks of class in the studio, where we build sets using strobe lighting. It's been a great learning experience for me, as I've taken the vast majority of my photographs outside using nothing but natural light.

Obviously we are taking pictures of people, and that's actually new for me. Usually I gravitate toward abstract shapes, interesting textures, ironic scenes, and other objects in general--not people. This class is my way of forcing myself to step into a new area of photography, which is historically the oldest.

Enough commentary: Today I had my first critique, and I showed these three:

Fixing

Eyes

Curtain

2 comments:

  1. Very nice! #2 and #3 are my favorites.

    #2 because the lighting on Ashlee's face has a nice warmth yet it is crisp.

    #3 because of the unusual pose. In 50 years you'll gaze at it to remember what her long youthful hair looked like!

    This could come in handy for family portraits in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After a short deliberation, the verdict is in:

    B+

    ReplyDelete

If you want to use OpenID, please attempt to make it display your name.

Resurrecting the Blog -- and Going International!

It started as an idle question. "Why can't we do that?" I had asked, somewhat jokingly. "We can," Todd had repli...