Oct 24, 2009

A Night In

Thursday and Friday were "No School" days for me - which meant the kids got a break and I got caught up on some paperwork! Luckily, I was able to work from home during those 2 days, which was great. On Friday morning, after dropping Todd off at school, I went to Safeway to do some shopping...

And boy did I do some shopping. I had a little plan in mind...I wanted to have a nice dinner waiting at home for when Todd got done with school. We had gone out the weekend earlier and I thought it would be nice to stay in (plus we like to save money where we can). I got a lot of housework done (look at me, a little Betty homemaker!), but I didn't quite have dinner waiting on the table when he was done. But he didn't have to wait long.


Mmm...There's our food! Let me tell you what was on the menu. The theme? Italian (sorta?)

Here's me, just finishing the cooking in my wonderful kitchen (more and more this house is feeling like home).


For an appetizer, I boiled the artichoke in water, chopped garlic, and a bay leaf. To eat the artichoke, you peel off the leaf and run your teeth along the end. It has an interesting flavor and it's kind of fun to eat.

Then we had pasta with a tomato alfredo sauce that I expanded on. I cooked up chicken in olive oil, with some garlic and chopped red pepper. Then I added the tomato alfredo sauce. Then I added a lot more finely chopped red pepper, plus some chopped mushroom and diced tomatoes. I added more chopped garlic to that, so it came out as a chunky but very flavorful sauce.

As a side we had zucchini and asparagus chopped up and sautéed in butter and chopped garlic.

We also had garlic bread to go along with it. On two slices of the garlic bread I placed slice tomato and some mozzarella cheese (to make poor man's bruschetta!).



To top it off, we had a glass of Blackberry Merlot wine. Mmmm mmm!



We both dressed up (me in a dress and Todd in black pants and a nice black shirt). Then we started a TV show that we've gotten into (Stargate: SG1) and had dinner and entertainment!



It was a wonderful night! I'm determined to do something like that maybe once a week.

And hey, while I'm not a chef, at least I'm cooking more than pancakes now! Right, Mom?

1 comment:

If you want to use OpenID, please attempt to make it display your name.

Resurrecting the Blog -- and Going International!

It started as an idle question. "Why can't we do that?" I had asked, somewhat jokingly. "We can," Todd had repli...