Oct 10, 2010

Woah! We have a blog!

So, Todd and I have been pretty terrible at keeping this updated. I think that a lot of it stems from the fact that we've gotten in our own comfortable routine. There's nothing super exciting, so we don't feel that we have anything to blog about. But that's all changed! I injured my back!

While at work on Tuesday, I was asking a child to get down from climbing a shelf. I gave the child a choice to be safe and get down from the shelf or Teacher Ashlee was going to help him be safe and get down from the shelf. The child did not respond to me (which is normal for this particular child when he knows he's not following directions). So I wrapped my arms around him in an effort to lift him off the shelf. As soon as my arms were around him, the child collapsed in my arms (also not an unusual behavior for this child). I wasn't quite prepared for this and I felt something really strange in my left shoulder blade. It hurt at the time, but it didn't floor me or anything. I told my CDA what had happened and went through the rest of the day (only about another 2 hours). After work, I called my manager just to give her a heads up, since that's what we were advised to do at a recent personal injury training.

The next morning (Wednesday), my back still hurt and my manager advised me to go to the health clinic and get it checked out. Once the doctor started poking and prodding and asking me to move, I realized that this little back injury might be worse than I thought at first. The doctor agreed and prescribed anti-inflammatory pills and Vicodin and then told me to go see the physical therapist next door. They hooked my back up to electrode things and ran electricity through it for a bit while icing it. I scheduled another therapy appointment for Friday morning and a doctor's visit afterwards.

The next two days were spent at home. I didn't do much and Todd had to help me with lifting anything heavy. On Friday I once again returned to the clinic, went through therapy (this time they actually made me work and it really made sore!), and talked with the doctor again. My back still wasn't feeling better and, in fact, I started having severe pain spasms through my back. The doctor prescribed me some muscle relaxant and told me we would see how I felt on Monday.

So, the weekend has passed. My back is still really sore but there's not sharp pain when I move anymore. I'm hoping I am cleared to go back to work on Monday, though I cringe at the thought of little kiddos hugging me too tightly or, heaven forbid, jumping on me. I don't know how much I can lift and I really want to make sure that I take care of this injury completely.

Here's to hoping one more day of rest brings about a recovery!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you want to use OpenID, please attempt to make it display your name.

Resurrecting the Blog -- and Going International!

It started as an idle question. "Why can't we do that?" I had asked, somewhat jokingly. "We can," Todd had repli...